Three dangerous temptations threaten to derail all of your low carb efforts:
- Your Kids
- A Busy Lifestyle
- Late Night Cravings
Prepare yourself for these very real threats, and you’ll be able to stick to the plan. Here are some great snack ideas that everyone in the house can stick to.
Everything listed below is less than 5 net carbs per serving!
Fun Kid Friendly Snacks
Have you ever been tempted to stray from healthy eating by the snacks your kids eat? Living a low carb lifestyle is difficult unless the whole family is on board. First thing’s first: we have to get the kids eating healthy, too! There are many snack options that they will eagerly eat and are fine for you to eat as well.
- Pickle Wraps: Wrap a dill pickle spear with a slice of your favorite lunch meat.
- Stuffed Celery: Fill the ribs of celery with peanut butter, almond butter, or cream cheese.
- Cottage Cheese: Half a cup of this classic is great on its own, but can also be delicious with a few small berries thrown in.
- Chicken Wings: Bake wings plain and then toss with butter and your favorite hot sauce.
- Sugar Free Popsicle or Fudgsicle
- Sugar Snap Peas: A small handful of these fun snacks are delicious and high in Vitamin C.
Snacks on the Go
Today’s busy lifestyle keeps most of us distracted and engaged, so when it’s time to eat, we need to eat now. So many snacks are simple to take along with you to have ready for those, “Uh oh, I’m starving!” moments.
- Hard boiled Egg
- Almonds Dusted with Cinnamon
- Trail Mix: Make your own with almonds, pumpkin and sunflower seeds
- Beef or Turkey Jerky
- Cheese Squares with Pepperoni Slices
- Pork Rinds
Late Night Munchies
Is late night your weakness? The house gets still and quiet, you get a chance to put your feet up and relax a little bit after dinner, and you suddenly feel like eating something decadent to reward yourself for all of your hard work during the day. Low carb doesn’t have to mean “diet food” or a grumbling tummy at night. Treat yourself to one of these goodies to really hit the spot in the evening.
- Lettuce Roll Ups: My favorite is to take a large leaf of Romaine lettuce and stick a slice or two of lunch meat, some cheese, and salsa or a tiny bit of guacamole, roll, and enjoy!
- Sugar Free Jello with Cool Whip Free
- Sliced Peppers, Cucumbers, and Broccoli with Ranch Dressing
- A Small Low Carb/Sugar-Free Chocolate Bar
The Family That Snacks Together, Sticks Together
Snacking always makes the family feel like they’re getting a special treat between or after meals. Make sure that the choices that you make for your family’s snacks fit in with the low carb lifestyle, whether it’s for the kids, on the go, or late at night.
What is your family’s favorite low carb snack to share?